It looks innocuous enough. Chewy. Chocolatey. Delicious.
Aside from carbs and calories, what could possibly be wrong with a brownie?
Plenty, if it’s an edible. The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) reports that emergency room visits for THC poisoning over the past three years have almost tripled, from 887 cases in 2013-2014 to 2,266 cases in 2017-2018.
And the problem isn’t limited to adults and children. Between 2010 and 2015, cannabis toxicity in dogs saw a four-fold increase in Colorado; over the past six years, the US-based Pet Poison Helpline reported a 448 per cent jump in reported cases.
Whether medical patients are new to homemade edibles or seasoned consumers, HEXO product specialist Guy DeGrace says the same rule applies: start low and go slow.
“The biggest mistake people make is eating too much straight away. The cannabinoid distribution throughout a batch of edibles will be uneven, so you don’t know how much THC you are consuming. The classic situation is when you try some and top up too soon.”
Keep all edibles and cannabis products out of reach of children and pets.
Most edibles require refrigeration. Consider storing them in the fridge, locked in a small cash box.
Possible side effects of THC toxicity include increased heart rate, anxiety and vomiting. Some cases may require hospitalization.